Tungsten enables the delivery of new applications and services across IP and broadcast networks to multiple client devices enabling operators to attract and retain subscribers and increase revenue opportunities. It incorporates middleware, an operating system and Software Development Kits (SDKs) for set-top boxes, media gateways and other client devices around the home.
Tungsten comprises the middleware and user interface (UI) stacks resident on a subscriber’s set-top box and incorporates:
- A STB software package to deliver basic payTV services into highly cost-sensitive or non-connected markets;
- An advanced middleware platform to provide comprehensive payTV services via broadcast, IP or hybrid (broadcast and IP) platforms;
- User Interfaces for different types of STB, as well as reference interfaces for web-based portals and mobile device applications.
Tungsten, through its modular and flexible structure, can be easily customised to individual operator requirements by the client or via Pace Professional Services. It offers:
- Low cost of ownership due to the high reliability of the hardware-software combination and the quality of the information provided by the customer support technology;
- Optional pre-integrated conditional access;
- Applications based on web services that can extend the TV user experience beyond a STB to consumer devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Key Business Benefits
Tungsten fulfils important payTV operator requirements by enabling increased spending per consumer (ARPU), lowering operating costs, increasing customer satisfaction and reducing churn.
With Pace solutions, operators can:
- React speedily to today’s rapid rate of technology innovation and constantly evolve the consumer experience;
- Ensure content is easy to find and accessible in multiple ways;
- Differentiate and promote high-value content;
- Create user interfaces that are simple for consumers to operate and are highly customisable to the operator brand experience;
- Grasp opportunities, using a platform that is optimised for rapid feature development and deployment;
- Provide excellent Quality of Service (QoS) due to the platform’s intelligent setup, configuration and diagnostics, as well as its remote management support;
- Support content mobility around the home, thus creating new revenue opportunities;
- Keep operating costs low: the platform’s modular architecture ensures that the operator is not beholden to a single supplier for features or timescales.
Technology in Brief
- Uses a tuned version of the WebKit HTML rendering engine;
- Middleware runs on Linux;
- UIs written in HTML5 and optimised for all languages;
- SDKs for both middleware and UIs;
- Applications platform for in-house and third-party application development;
- Cross-domain search on broadcast, on-demand, recorded and OTT content;
- Sophisticated personalization features.